Sunday 2 March 2014

Thoughts on being in a sewing funk...

IMG 1034

I'm going through a bit of a sewing dip at the moment - everything I attempt seems to be going wrong! Do you ever get times like that? It's a real knock to the confidence and it's getting me kind of down. I make all these fab plans for my projects and dive straight in, but then get to a problem and just can't face trying to fix it!

Sunni from A Fashionable Stitch wrote a really poignant post the other day about choosing the right fabric for your project, and it really hit a chord with me. I have been sewing for quite a few years now, but I still struggle with pairing the right fabric with a pattern. I really believe that having the right fabric takes a garment from looking 'homemade' to looking professional, and I find that if something looks 'homemade' I have a lot less desire to wear it - which probably explains why I actually hardly ever wear my 'me made' clothes.

Take that pile in the photo above. The black denim was sewn up into a pleated skirt. I thought it was going to look awesome - but it just looks so awful and unflattering on me, so I haven't bothered to finished it (all it needs is hemming and sewing the inside waistband). I'm hoping I can rescue the fabric - perhaps it would be more suited for a short a-line skirt, maybe a Moss Mini?

And the plain maroon fabric - that was going to be a classic gathered skirt - but somehow I have made the waistband far too tight. And the fabric is rather stiff. I actually thought that would give the skirt a lovely crisp drape and look quite dramatic - which it does…but boy does that not suit my body shape!!!

Finally the fabric on the top is my attempt at salvaging another bad fabric choice. It used to be a lovely shirred maxi dress (that I blog about here) - but the jersey was to heavy for that style and I risked exposing myself whenever I wore it (!!!), so I thought I would try and turn it into a Plantain dress (tutorial here). The top part was going great, but I have attached the skirt on too low so it sits lower than my waist. It needs unpicking but I'm just not feeling the love for it as a dress to be honest! I'm tempted to turn it into a bit of a cropped t-shirt instead. 

I hope I can get out of this funk and get back to loving sewing. Anyone else get disheartened when things go wrong? How do you get yourself back on track again? 

Related Posts with Thumbnails